Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using and Disclosing Energy Usage Information
To standardize some of the rules regarding customer privacy, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) issued “Rules Regarding Privacy and Security Protections for Energy Usage Data”. These rules prohibit SEA, its third-party providers, and other load-serving entities from releasing information that can reasonably be used to identify an individual customer, or a customer’s family, household or residence, to a third party without the customer’s written consent, except as is necessary for SEA to:
- Provide or bill for electrical power services;
- Provide services required by state or federal law or as specifically authorized by an order of the CPUC;
- Plan, implement or evaluate energy management, demand response or energy efficiency programs under contract with SEA or under contract with the CPUC;
- Provide personal information pursuant to a lawful warrant or court or law enforcement order, after prior notice to you unless such notice is prohibited by law; or
- Provide personal information to emergency responders in situations involving an imminent threat to life or property.